Sunday, October 9, 2016

Heritage Discovery!


THIS JUST IN: I've received a MAJOR LEAD on my American Indian heritage! SO many thanks to Mom and Aunt Lois for digging this up!!

Turns out, I was slightly mislead about which tribes I'm descended from; previously I assumed that my lineage could be traced back both to the Chickasaw and Cherokee nations, but as it turns out, I was only half-right. One of my ancestors was Chickasaw... the other was Choctaw! Literally the direct relatives of the Chickasaw Indians! This opens up a whole new world for me, and a new culture to study and learn about. This is all so exciting!!

And this discovery isn't without its intrigue either; many years ago my great-grandmother Marie Evans attempted to find out more about our Native American lineage, even looking up records about the family ancestry... but much of it was covered up (unsuccessfully) either by the record keepers or members of the family themselves. Apparently there exists an old tape of Marie showing old photographs of my ancestors -- INCLUDING the Indians! Hopefully this tape will turn up soon.

This turnabout marks an exciting new chapter in my quest to deduce the identities of my Native American forebears! Onward to discovery!!

~M.D.

No comments: