Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Future Ahead Of Me

Well, folks, the future is looking fairly clear for the first time in months. Mom and Dad have hired painters to help pretty up the house for us and the plan is looking pretty clear: some time next month (rough estimate: the 3rd week of June) I'll be sent down to Georgia to look for a job, as well as to keep Dad company at the new house. Over time the rest of the family will move down too, and once we sell the house we'll finally have enough money to make some much-needed renovations in the new place. Turns out that there are indeed renovations needing to be made... most notably the fact that there's only one shower in the house (but thankfully another bathroom has a simple tub, which can be turned into a shower with some minor configuration). I'll also be sharing a bedroom with my brother Ryan, but thankfully I will most likely have plenty of privacy regardless since he'll probably sleep mostly on a couch. That seems to be his preference nowadays.

Also gonna be getting myself a pair of snake boots. No, not boots made of snake skin, but rather padded boots designed to protect my legs from getting bitten by a venomous snake. Because as it turns out, snakes are a very real and ever-present threat out in the wilderness of Georgia, whether they be hiding under tree roots or sunning on some rocks. Now granted these snakes aren't particularly aggressive; they really just want to be left alone and would sooner flee from me than attack me. But there's always that risk, and it's a risk I'm not taking without some sort of protection. But as soon as I have those boots, I'll be trekking through the forest and seeing whatever amazing things I can find out there! I'm very optimistic about this whole thing!

There is one downside, however; for a time there will be absolutely no internet access whatsoever. On a positive note, this means I'll have more time for things like job searching and creative writing and exploration... but on a negative note, this also means I'll have no access to social media or anything else that I've become so adjusted to using for entertainment. Granted though, Dad has all our good movies... so there's that. However I should point out that I won't be deprived of internet access forever; eventually the family will all be under the same roof and at that point I'll be able to update you all with whatever took place in the intervening time. ... That is, assuming anyone even reads my blog and I'm not just muttering to myself with every post.

For now though, I'm in for an... interesting week; Mom's going to West Virginia to help my aunt with her job, and she's taking both my little sister and our golden retriever Lucky there with them. They're all leaving this weekend and won't be returning until the 31st... meaning that the rest of us (namely myself and my two brothers) will spend the rest of the week all on our own. Mom's gone shopping for enough food to keep us occupied for that amount of time, but it'll still be all too quiet around the house. Well, at least it'll still be a calm and relaxing week.

... Provided that my brothers don't get themselves into a fight while Mom's not around. That's prone to happen at some point, I'd wager.

~M.D.

No comments: